Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Living Picture
The word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires (v.12).
On a visit to the Passages Interactive Bible Exhibit, I was reminded of the beauty and scholarship of Scripture. Accustomed to the modern-day, goldfiligree edging, I was impressed with one particular exhibit that showcased fore-edged printing—beautiful pictures, some representing events from Scripture and others with countryside scenes—that graced the outer edges of the Bibles. Interestingly, the pictures become visible when the Bible cover is first opened and the pages softly rest against one another, as if in a state of readiness to be turned.
In a society where Bible translations and study guides abound, we may at times take the availability of God’s Word for granted. More than letters on a page, however, the Word reveals the very nature and heart of God. It’s not something we read simply to stretch our thinking or advance our learning. We engage Scripture to be transformed into the likeness of Christ—the one who is the Word incarnate (John 1:1).
Hebrews 4:12 tells us, “The Word of God is alive and powerful.” Scripture has the ability “to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16). God’s Word molds and motivates us. Hebrews 4:12 goes on to tell us about the revealing power of the Word as it exposes hidden places in our hearts. So both of these passages present an important aspect of God’s Word—its ability to change us.
Opening the cover of our lives, we become a living picture of the canvas of Christ at work when we allow His Word to be on our lips and in our hearts so that we can obey it (Deuteronomy 30:14).
Read 2 Timothy 3:1 to see how the Word being active in our lives will enable us to discern true godliness from mere religion.
Why must the transforming power of Scripture in our lives be a work of the Holy Spirit? What is our role in this transaction? How does our intimacy with Jesus connect with our ability to live out God’s Word?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more