Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Living Picture
The word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires (v.12).
On a visit to the Passages Interactive Bible Exhibit, I was reminded of the beauty and scholarship of Scripture. Accustomed to the modern-day, goldfiligree edging, I was impressed with one particular exhibit that showcased fore-edged printing—beautiful pictures, some representing events from Scripture and others with countryside scenes—that graced the outer edges of the Bibles. Interestingly, the pictures become visible when the Bible cover is first opened and the pages softly rest against one another, as if in a state of readiness to be turned.
In a society where Bible translations and study guides abound, we may at times take the availability of God’s Word for granted. More than letters on a page, however, the Word reveals the very nature and heart of God. It’s not something we read simply to stretch our thinking or advance our learning. We engage Scripture to be transformed into the likeness of Christ—the one who is the Word incarnate (John 1:1).
Hebrews 4:12 tells us, “The Word of God is alive and powerful.” Scripture has the ability “to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16). God’s Word molds and motivates us. Hebrews 4:12 goes on to tell us about the revealing power of the Word as it exposes hidden places in our hearts. So both of these passages present an important aspect of God’s Word—its ability to change us.
Opening the cover of our lives, we become a living picture of the canvas of Christ at work when we allow His Word to be on our lips and in our hearts so that we can obey it (Deuteronomy 30:14).
Read 2 Timothy 3:1 to see how the Word being active in our lives will enable us to discern true godliness from mere religion.
Why must the transforming power of Scripture in our lives be a work of the Holy Spirit? What is our role in this transaction? How does our intimacy with Jesus connect with our ability to live out God’s Word?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more