MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
You might think that tattoos are a recent phenomenon. Not true. The ancient Romans would tattoo (or brand) slaves and criminals. Later, during the fourth century AD a Christian sect called the Montanists tattooed themselves as slaves of God (Revelation 7:2-3). And Coptic Christians have been tattooing crosses and other symbols on their hands for more than 1,200 years. Many Coptic (Egyptian) Christian villagers still sport cross tattoos today. For them, the tattoo reflects their commitment to Jesus, whose scars will forever be reminders of His sacrifice for us (John 20:19-28).
Paul, in Romans 6, reveals what should be the mark of a true believer in Jesus today. "We are no longer slaves to sin," he wrote (v.6). Unlike the slaves branded by the Romans, giving them a permanent identity as a criminal, believers in Jesus choose to be "a slave of Christ Jesus" (1:1). Jesus transforms us from the inside out and calls us to "live new lives" that show "we were set free from the power of sin" (6:7).
As we turn from sin and embrace the holy life to which Christ calls us, we bring glory to Him and present a picture of what Christianity is all about. Paul put it this way: "We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives" (v.6).
Whether or not tattoos of a cross are a good idea may be a disputable matter. But all of us who are true believers in Jesus will reveal our faith in Him by turning from sin. He has broken the power of sin over us, setting us free to live "for the glory of God" (v.10). You don't have to get a tattoo to show your faith. A life of pure devotion to Jesus, radiating His power to resist sin, will show the world you belong to Him. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more