True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone (James 4:14).
My friend, now 65, smiled nostalgically as she shared memories of her grandfather’s last year. Born in 1890, he had made this comment at age 94: “I went from the days of horse-and-buggy to a man walking on the moon,” he said. Then, he mused wistfully, “I never thought [life] would be so short.”
His observation reminds me of Jacob. When his son Joseph, vice-regent of Egypt, brought his father to meet Pharaoh, Jacob said, “I have traveled this earth for 130 hard years. But my life has been short compared to the lives of my ancestors” (Genesis 47:9).
“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans,” sang John Lennon in “Beautiful Boy.” No kidding! So often we squirm impatiently through life. We yearn for the bell to ring and summer vacation to begin. We long for something better. If only I were already out of high school . . . or finished with college. If only I had a girlfriend/boyfriend. If only I were married. If only I had a better job. If only I could retire. If only . . . And then one day we catch an echo of our grandfather’s voice as we wonder where the time has gone. It’s all so short!
One of the great lies is that we need to be somewhere else, doing something else, with someone else before we can truly start living.
We who come to Christ may do so because we seek eternal life.Ironically, if we do, we miss the larger point. Jesus offers us life now. In the same context of promising His followers eternal life (John 10:28), He said, “My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life” (v.10).
When we find life in Jesus, we begin to exchange regrets over life’s brevity for the pure enjoyment of its eternality.
How does John 6:27 inform our view of life on this earth? In verse 32, what does the phrase “true bread from heaven” mean, and what does it lead to?
Think of the times when you’ve been impatient. What might God have been teaching you in those moments? How does the brevity of life motivate you?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more