Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
They strengthened the believers. They encouraged them to
continue in the faith, reminding them that we must suffer many
hardships to enter the kingdom of God (v.22).
In February of 2011, Andrew Wilson, an Australian
fisherman was fishing off the coast of New South
Wales when he was thrown from his boat by a large
wave. Without a life jacket, but filled with adrenaline and
tenacity, Wilson braved the shark-infested waters and
simply kept swimming. “I wasn’t going to stop, so I just
Wilson survived the ordeal with minor injuries. One
local rescuer opined: “Lucky he was a strong swimmer.”
The same could not be said for the disciples in Lystra,
Antioch, and Iconium; in a way they were new swimmers
and needed mentors—Paul and Barnabas—to strengthen
and encourage them to keep going.
After experiencing a near-death stoning in Lystra at
the hands of a violent mob (incited by Jews from Antioch
and Iconium) and preaching the gospel in Derbe, Paul
did the unexpected. He and Barnabas returned to Lystra,
Iconium, and Antioch—the very cities where their lives
had been in danger!
Why would they return to those cities of potential
harm? They could have taken a less arduous route and
kept traveling southeast and visited Paul’s home in Tarsus.
But Paul and Barnabas weren’t thinking of themselves;
they were concerned about strengthening some “new
believers” to keep going and not give up. They wanted
to make sure the new disciples were spiritually healthy
and had solid spiritual leadership.
We too have a responsibility to new or inexperienced believers in Jesus. By the
power of the Holy Spirit, let’s strengthen their souls, help them to depend on God
in the face of pain, and to keep going in the midst of the dangerous waters of
uncertainty, trial, and suffering. And let’s remind them that endurance is a hallmark
of true Christian faith and it brings spiritual rewards.
How does your church strengthen and encourage new
believers? What younger Christian will you strengthen and
encourage this week? How?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more