Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
Comes Back Around
They pretend to be kind, but don’t believe them. Their hearts are full of
many evils (v.25).
As a youth pastor’s wife, I have plenty of
opportunities to practice conflict resolution skills
with those in our ministry. Especially in working
with the girls. Gossip, however, is not limited to the
female gender or to young adults (as my husband and I
discovered at a dinner party a few weeks back). Recently,
though, I had an opportunity to work through a situation
with two high school girls, and in doing so we all saw the
vivid imprint of the enemy’s work in stirring up strife. One
unproven statement of hearsay had created weeks of hurt
feelings and strained relationships.
Gossip is never productive. Not when couched as
being in jest (Proverbs 26:19), nor when masked as a
prayer request (vv.23-25). Not even when we believe
we’re spreading truth. Whatever the reasons—a
vindictive spirit, an insecure heart, or a loose tongue—
gossip has no place in the life of a believer.
Destructive to far more than just the person being
discussed, gossip has a way of infiltrating the deep inner
places of our lives. Proverbs 26:22 says, “Rumors are
dainty morsels that sink deep into one’s heart.” To the one
speaking and listening, gossip becomes an addictive tool
to gain influence with others, and in the hearts of both, its
roots settle and shape not only our opinions of others but
our ability to trust.
Like a boulder rolling backwards (v.27), the consequences
of gossip are far-reaching as it destroys: trustworthiness (11:13), relationships
(16:27-28), character (17:4), reputations (25:10).
Conflict is a given even in the body of Christ. But Scripture clearly delineates
how to go about finding resolution (Matthew 5:23; 1 Timothy 1:19). While
gossip may bring momentary relief or enjoyment, the mature believer understands
that the long-term consequences are disastrous.
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 to see what other destructive behaviors
often accompany gossip.
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more