Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
Comes Back Around
They pretend to be kind, but don’t believe them. Their hearts are full of
many evils (v.25).
As a youth pastor’s wife, I have plenty of
opportunities to practice conflict resolution skills
with those in our ministry. Especially in working
with the girls. Gossip, however, is not limited to the
female gender or to young adults (as my husband and I
discovered at a dinner party a few weeks back). Recently,
though, I had an opportunity to work through a situation
with two high school girls, and in doing so we all saw the
vivid imprint of the enemy’s work in stirring up strife. One
unproven statement of hearsay had created weeks of hurt
feelings and strained relationships.
Gossip is never productive. Not when couched as
being in jest (Proverbs 26:19), nor when masked as a
prayer request (vv.23-25). Not even when we believe
we’re spreading truth. Whatever the reasons—a
vindictive spirit, an insecure heart, or a loose tongue—
gossip has no place in the life of a believer.
Destructive to far more than just the person being
discussed, gossip has a way of infiltrating the deep inner
places of our lives. Proverbs 26:22 says, “Rumors are
dainty morsels that sink deep into one’s heart.” To the one
speaking and listening, gossip becomes an addictive tool
to gain influence with others, and in the hearts of both, its
roots settle and shape not only our opinions of others but
our ability to trust.
Like a boulder rolling backwards (v.27), the consequences
of gossip are far-reaching as it destroys: trustworthiness (11:13), relationships
(16:27-28), character (17:4), reputations (25:10).
Conflict is a given even in the body of Christ. But Scripture clearly delineates
how to go about finding resolution (Matthew 5:23; 1 Timothy 1:19). While
gossip may bring momentary relief or enjoyment, the mature believer understands
that the long-term consequences are disastrous.
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 to see what other destructive behaviors
often accompany gossip.
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more