Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
Comes Back Around
They pretend to be kind, but don’t believe them. Their hearts are full of
many evils (v.25).
As a youth pastor’s wife, I have plenty of
opportunities to practice conflict resolution skills
with those in our ministry. Especially in working
with the girls. Gossip, however, is not limited to the
female gender or to young adults (as my husband and I
discovered at a dinner party a few weeks back). Recently,
though, I had an opportunity to work through a situation
with two high school girls, and in doing so we all saw the
vivid imprint of the enemy’s work in stirring up strife. One
unproven statement of hearsay had created weeks of hurt
feelings and strained relationships.
Gossip is never productive. Not when couched as
being in jest (Proverbs 26:19), nor when masked as a
prayer request (vv.23-25). Not even when we believe
we’re spreading truth. Whatever the reasons—a
vindictive spirit, an insecure heart, or a loose tongue—
gossip has no place in the life of a believer.
Destructive to far more than just the person being
discussed, gossip has a way of infiltrating the deep inner
places of our lives. Proverbs 26:22 says, “Rumors are
dainty morsels that sink deep into one’s heart.” To the one
speaking and listening, gossip becomes an addictive tool
to gain influence with others, and in the hearts of both, its
roots settle and shape not only our opinions of others but
our ability to trust.
Like a boulder rolling backwards (v.27), the consequences
of gossip are far-reaching as it destroys: trustworthiness (11:13), relationships
(16:27-28), character (17:4), reputations (25:10).
Conflict is a given even in the body of Christ. But Scripture clearly delineates
how to go about finding resolution (Matthew 5:23; 1 Timothy 1:19). While
gossip may bring momentary relief or enjoyment, the mature believer understands
that the long-term consequences are disastrous.
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 to see what other destructive behaviors
often accompany gossip.
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more