What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Comes Back Around
They pretend to be kind, but don’t believe them. Their hearts are full of
many evils (v.25).
As a youth pastor’s wife, I have plenty of
opportunities to practice conflict resolution skills
with those in our ministry. Especially in working
with the girls. Gossip, however, is not limited to the
female gender or to young adults (as my husband and I
discovered at a dinner party a few weeks back). Recently,
though, I had an opportunity to work through a situation
with two high school girls, and in doing so we all saw the
vivid imprint of the enemy’s work in stirring up strife. One
unproven statement of hearsay had created weeks of hurt
feelings and strained relationships.
Gossip is never productive. Not when couched as
being in jest (Proverbs 26:19), nor when masked as a
prayer request (vv.23-25). Not even when we believe
we’re spreading truth. Whatever the reasons—a
vindictive spirit, an insecure heart, or a loose tongue—
gossip has no place in the life of a believer.
Destructive to far more than just the person being
discussed, gossip has a way of infiltrating the deep inner
places of our lives. Proverbs 26:22 says, “Rumors are
dainty morsels that sink deep into one’s heart.” To the one
speaking and listening, gossip becomes an addictive tool
to gain influence with others, and in the hearts of both, its
roots settle and shape not only our opinions of others but
our ability to trust.
Like a boulder rolling backwards (v.27), the consequences
of gossip are far-reaching as it destroys: trustworthiness (11:13), relationships
(16:27-28), character (17:4), reputations (25:10).
Conflict is a given even in the body of Christ. But Scripture clearly delineates
how to go about finding resolution (Matthew 5:23; 1 Timothy 1:19). While
gossip may bring momentary relief or enjoyment, the mature believer understands
that the long-term consequences are disastrous.
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 to see what other destructive behaviors
often accompany gossip.
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more