Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
If you were to name your newborn son, which of these
three names would you choose: James, John,
or Judas? You might select James or John, but—
undoubtedly—you wouldn’t name your son Judas. You
might name your dog Max or Buddy, but not Judas. Even
a dog deserves a respectable name!
Judas means praise, but it has become an icon of
condemnation, a name synonymous with the worst form of
treachery and betrayal. Imagine conversing with Judas and
asking, “Why did you betray Jesus, and with a kiss? (Luke
22:48). Were you disillusioned that Jesus wasn’t the kind
of Messiah you wanted—a Messiah who would overthrow
the Romans and reign on David’s throne? (Zech. 9:9; Matt.
21:4-10). Instead of reigning, Jesus talked about submitting
to Caesar (Matt. 22:21) and becoming a slave (20:25-28).
Jesus came into Jerusalem, not to become king but to be
humiliated and to die on a cross (20:18-19; Luke 18:32-
33). This seemed like nonsense to them! (v.34).
“So was it because of money? Weren’t the ministry
funds you embezzled enough to satisfy your greed? (John
12:6). You sold out your Master to the leading priests,
hoping they would reward you handsomely (Mark 14:10-
11). Were you disappointed that they paid you only
30 silver coins? (Matthew 26:14-15). Surely you were
shocked that your King was only worth the price of a
slave (Exodus 21:32). Yet you betrayed your own conscience for a few coins.
“Judas, why did you use a kiss to betray Jesus? (Matthew 26:49) A kiss is
a symbol of trust and intimacy, love and affection. But you used it as a tool of
betrayal and treachery. Coming up close, embracing and kissing your Master,
Friend, and Brother, you amplified the despicability, the heinousness, and the
treachery of your betrayal!” (v.24).
Read Psalms 55:1, written by David after a close friend and trusted confidante
betrayed him (vv.12-14, 20-21). How did he cope with the anguish and pain
Have you on occasion been tempted to “betray” Jesus? In today’s context,
what would constitute a “betrayal” of Him?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more