Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
If you were to name your newborn son, which of these
three names would you choose: James, John,
or Judas? You might select James or John, but—
undoubtedly—you wouldn’t name your son Judas. You
might name your dog Max or Buddy, but not Judas. Even
a dog deserves a respectable name!
Judas means praise, but it has become an icon of
condemnation, a name synonymous with the worst form of
treachery and betrayal. Imagine conversing with Judas and
asking, “Why did you betray Jesus, and with a kiss? (Luke
22:48). Were you disillusioned that Jesus wasn’t the kind
of Messiah you wanted—a Messiah who would overthrow
the Romans and reign on David’s throne? (Zech. 9:9; Matt.
21:4-10). Instead of reigning, Jesus talked about submitting
to Caesar (Matt. 22:21) and becoming a slave (20:25-28).
Jesus came into Jerusalem, not to become king but to be
humiliated and to die on a cross (20:18-19; Luke 18:32-
33). This seemed like nonsense to them! (v.34).
“So was it because of money? Weren’t the ministry
funds you embezzled enough to satisfy your greed? (John
12:6). You sold out your Master to the leading priests,
hoping they would reward you handsomely (Mark 14:10-
11). Were you disappointed that they paid you only
30 silver coins? (Matthew 26:14-15). Surely you were
shocked that your King was only worth the price of a
slave (Exodus 21:32). Yet you betrayed your own conscience for a few coins.
“Judas, why did you use a kiss to betray Jesus? (Matthew 26:49) A kiss is
a symbol of trust and intimacy, love and affection. But you used it as a tool of
betrayal and treachery. Coming up close, embracing and kissing your Master,
Friend, and Brother, you amplified the despicability, the heinousness, and the
treachery of your betrayal!” (v.24).
Read Psalms 55:1, written by David after a close friend and trusted confidante
betrayed him (vv.12-14, 20-21). How did he cope with the anguish and pain
Have you on occasion been tempted to “betray” Jesus? In today’s context,
what would constitute a “betrayal” of Him?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more