The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
If you were to name your newborn son, which of these
three names would you choose: James, John,
or Judas? You might select James or John, but—
undoubtedly—you wouldn’t name your son Judas. You
might name your dog Max or Buddy, but not Judas. Even
a dog deserves a respectable name!
Judas means praise, but it has become an icon of
condemnation, a name synonymous with the worst form of
treachery and betrayal. Imagine conversing with Judas and
asking, “Why did you betray Jesus, and with a kiss? (Luke
22:48). Were you disillusioned that Jesus wasn’t the kind
of Messiah you wanted—a Messiah who would overthrow
the Romans and reign on David’s throne? (Zech. 9:9; Matt.
21:4-10). Instead of reigning, Jesus talked about submitting
to Caesar (Matt. 22:21) and becoming a slave (20:25-28).
Jesus came into Jerusalem, not to become king but to be
humiliated and to die on a cross (20:18-19; Luke 18:32-
33). This seemed like nonsense to them! (v.34).
“So was it because of money? Weren’t the ministry
funds you embezzled enough to satisfy your greed? (John
12:6). You sold out your Master to the leading priests,
hoping they would reward you handsomely (Mark 14:10-
11). Were you disappointed that they paid you only
30 silver coins? (Matthew 26:14-15). Surely you were
shocked that your King was only worth the price of a
slave (Exodus 21:32). Yet you betrayed your own conscience for a few coins.
“Judas, why did you use a kiss to betray Jesus? (Matthew 26:49) A kiss is
a symbol of trust and intimacy, love and affection. But you used it as a tool of
betrayal and treachery. Coming up close, embracing and kissing your Master,
Friend, and Brother, you amplified the despicability, the heinousness, and the
treachery of your betrayal!” (v.24).
Read Psalms 55:1, written by David after a close friend and trusted confidante
betrayed him (vv.12-14, 20-21). How did he cope with the anguish and pain
Have you on occasion been tempted to “betray” Jesus? In today’s context,
what would constitute a “betrayal” of Him?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more