Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
If My People
If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land (v.14).
I was speaking with three friends about the lamentable condition of our country. They mentioned the continued practice of abortion, the rise of homosexual marriage, and the debt crisis. One friend cited 2 Chronicles 2:14, and said that our nation’s problems will only be solved when our country turns to God. I said that would be difficult to pull off, as our nation believes in the separation of church and state. We cannot compel Muslims, Buddhists, or atheists to worship Yahweh. Nor would we want to. Life goes badly— both for those inside and outside the church—whenever Christianity becomes the religion of the state.
But this doesn’t mean that 2 Chronicles 2:14 doesn’t apply to us. Peter declares that God’s people are the church, which is a kingdom of “royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession” (1 Peter 1:9). Our problem is not that our country is failing to live Christianly, but that the church is failing to live as God’s holy nation. Christians have the same marriage challenges and other problems as people who don’t claim to know Jesus. This is a scandalous black eye on the bride of Christ.
We can’t compel others to live righteously, but what if we followed Peter’s command to “show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light”? (v.9). We may be outnumbered, but we could still make a difference.
The early church did so much for so many that in AD 362, Julian the Apostate complained he couldn’t return the Roman Empire to paganism. How could he persuade the average Roman that Christians were bad, when “the impious Galileans support not only their own poor but ours as well”?
May revival come to my nation, and may it start with me.
Read 1 Peter 2:9 to learn how you can make a difference for Jesus in your world.
How does it affect unbelievers when “Christians” are unholy and unloving and seem to sin as much as they do? How can you more selflessly model Jesus?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more