Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Lord said, “That’s right, and it means that I am watching, and I will certainly carry out all My plans” (v.12).
Last spring I planted an herb garden, even though I don’t have a “green thumb.” In fact, I only sporadically watered the plants when their environment reached desertlike conditions. But, fortunately, I was able to enjoy cooking with the fresh fruits of my labor throughout the summer. A year later, though, I looked out at my garden and realized that my garden—like my life—was in a different phase. The mint had taken over, some herbs were completely wiped out, and others were barren stalks. I decided it was a good season to pull them up.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 teaches us that life also moves in seasons. Although the truths found in God’s Word are unchanging, He uses varying methods at different times to accomplish His purposes. Our role as His people is to hear His voice, understand the times, and know how to respond (1 Chronicles 1:32; John 10:4).
Although biblical truths are universal, the application of them can be individualistic and personal. The things He asks of you may not be the things He is asking of someone else.
Even in the church, we can easily get caught up in comparing ourselves with others and feeling threatened if God is moving someone in a different way than what we’re experiencing. We may even go so far as to judge others by our personal preferences or our individual relationship with Jesus rather than by Scripture. Jeremiah 1 reminds us:
• God knew what we would do in His kingdom even before we were born (v.5).
• God has called us as individuals and will help us complete our work for Him (vv.7-9).
• Our role is to obey His Word; His is to bring it to pass (Isaiah 55:11).
When have you been lonely because God called you to do something different than those around you? How can we discern between biblical standards and individual calling?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more