Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Do not add to or subtract from these commands I am giving you. Just obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you (v.2).
Kim Peek, the megasavant who inspired the film Rain Man, once went to a performance of a Shakespearean play. As the performance was ending, Peek stood up and shouted, “You’ve got to stop it, stop it, stop it.” Why? An actor had skipped the second to last verse of the play. The actor apologized and said, “The verses are so much alike, I didn’t think it would matter.” Peek is quoted as saying, “It mattered to Shakespeare, and it should matter to you.”
Similar to Peek warning an actor of the dangers of abridging and tampering with Shakespeare’s words, Moses warned Israel of the danger of amending God’s Word (Deuteronomy 4:2). Because of God’s mercy, faithfulness, and judgment in their recent history, God reminded them of the importance of listening to and unconditionally obeying His Word. If they were obedient, they would continue to enjoy the blessings of life and land (vv.1,4). If they disobeyed, however, God would discipline them like He had done at Baal-Peor (v.3).
Thus, their very lives depended on obeying God’s Word. It was vital for them to pursue lives of faithfulness to God, especially by not amending any part of His instruction. Every command and regulation mattered to God, and it should matter to His people. Even the apostle John reminded the people in his day of the dangers of amending God’s Word (Revelation 22:18).
Tampering with God’s Word was a serious issue to Moses and John, who sought to follow God in obedience. Now, as followers of Jesus, we don’t worship the Bible; we worship the God of the Bible. We can demonstrate our faithfulness to God by handling His Word with care and great respect, and by listening to and obeying it. To reverence God’s Word is to reverence God Himself. No tampering allowed.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is God’s Word to you? What does this say about your view of God?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more