Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Do not add to or subtract from these commands I am giving you. Just obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you (v.2).
Kim Peek, the megasavant who inspired the film Rain Man, once went to a performance of a Shakespearean play. As the performance was ending, Peek stood up and shouted, “You’ve got to stop it, stop it, stop it.” Why? An actor had skipped the second to last verse of the play. The actor apologized and said, “The verses are so much alike, I didn’t think it would matter.” Peek is quoted as saying, “It mattered to Shakespeare, and it should matter to you.”
Similar to Peek warning an actor of the dangers of abridging and tampering with Shakespeare’s words, Moses warned Israel of the danger of amending God’s Word (Deuteronomy 4:2). Because of God’s mercy, faithfulness, and judgment in their recent history, God reminded them of the importance of listening to and unconditionally obeying His Word. If they were obedient, they would continue to enjoy the blessings of life and land (vv.1,4). If they disobeyed, however, God would discipline them like He had done at Baal-Peor (v.3).
Thus, their very lives depended on obeying God’s Word. It was vital for them to pursue lives of faithfulness to God, especially by not amending any part of His instruction. Every command and regulation mattered to God, and it should matter to His people. Even the apostle John reminded the people in his day of the dangers of amending God’s Word (Revelation 22:18).
Tampering with God’s Word was a serious issue to Moses and John, who sought to follow God in obedience. Now, as followers of Jesus, we don’t worship the Bible; we worship the God of the Bible. We can demonstrate our faithfulness to God by handling His Word with care and great respect, and by listening to and obeying it. To reverence God’s Word is to reverence God Himself. No tampering allowed.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is God’s Word to you? What does this say about your view of God?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more