MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
The Thirteenth Amendment that abolished slavery in the United States was ratified by the necessary number of states on December 6, 1865. So, how many slaves were there in the US on December 7? Technically, there were none. Although the law had been passed, there were many who did not know the truth and continued to live like slaves. There were many others who knew they were free but doubted the reality of their freedom.
This seems to be true of many believers in Jesus today. An "amendment of freedom" has been passed by the death of Jesus, but many doubt the reality of their freedom and continue to live like slaves to sin. This is precisely what Paul spoke of in Romans 8.
He begins the chapter with "So now," a phrase that referred to the earlier themes of Romans: freedom from sin, justification by faith alone, friendship with God, and assurance of salvation and eternal life, all which were achieved through Christ.
Paul reminded his readers, "There is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus" (v.1). This means that there is absolutely no eternal punishment or estrangement for those who place their trust in the finished work of Jesus. Their sins are forgiven and covered. The war is over and they are no longer enemies of God. No accusation against them will stand. In this verse, Paul communicated that we're no longer condemned under the penalty of sin, and there's no condemnation or peril that could ever separate us from the love of Christ (vv.31-39).
At times, sin and failure cause us to doubt the reality of the freedom that Jesus has provided for us. Let's remember that He alone has secured and sustained our salvation. It's all about Him, not our performance. , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more