LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Magical Green Stick
There is only one thing worth being concerned about (Luke 10:42).
When the Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy was a child, he believed in a magical green stick that could destroy all evil. His lifelong yearning for moral perfection in himself may have grown out of that childish belief. He never found it, yet his writings reveal his acute understanding of human depravity and God’s holiness.
I too am keenly aware of my own failings, so I cringe when people attribute spiritual qualities to me that I know are sadly lacking. When a friend asked me, “Are you a prayer warrior?” I quickly told him, “No, that’s one of the things I struggle with.” He seemed taken aback. I was surprised that he was surprised.
If you’re like me—spiritually lazy, easily distracted, susceptible to the lie that doing is being—welcome to the company of those in need of grace. We know we should pray. But we don’t do it well.
It appears that all the writers of the book of Psalms possessed introspective natures that passionately craved God. Psalm 119 expresses one author’s deep desire for God’s ways and attributes. “I have tried hard to find You,” he sang. “Don’t let me wander from Your commands” (v.10). “I lie in the dust; revive me by Your Word” (v.25). Five times he tells how he “meditates” on God’s instruction (vv.23,27,48,52,117).
I don’t often sit in silence and ponder God. There’s too much noise, so many “demands.” Jesus gently admonished another busy person who mistakenly assumed her busyness was the moral choice. “There is only one thing worth being concerned about,” He told Martha. “Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:42).
There is no magical stick that guides us to perfection. The one perfect Person has taken care of that for us, and He welcomes our time.
How have you been susceptible to Mary’s erroneous assumption in Luke 10:38?
What compels you today? What urgent demands might be damaging your spiritual life?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more