In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Magical Green Stick
There is only one thing worth being concerned about (Luke 10:42).
When the Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy was a child, he believed in a magical green stick that could destroy all evil. His lifelong yearning for moral perfection in himself may have grown out of that childish belief. He never found it, yet his writings reveal his acute understanding of human depravity and God’s holiness.
I too am keenly aware of my own failings, so I cringe when people attribute spiritual qualities to me that I know are sadly lacking. When a friend asked me, “Are you a prayer warrior?” I quickly told him, “No, that’s one of the things I struggle with.” He seemed taken aback. I was surprised that he was surprised.
If you’re like me—spiritually lazy, easily distracted, susceptible to the lie that doing is being—welcome to the company of those in need of grace. We know we should pray. But we don’t do it well.
It appears that all the writers of the book of Psalms possessed introspective natures that passionately craved God. Psalm 119 expresses one author’s deep desire for God’s ways and attributes. “I have tried hard to find You,” he sang. “Don’t let me wander from Your commands” (v.10). “I lie in the dust; revive me by Your Word” (v.25). Five times he tells how he “meditates” on God’s instruction (vv.23,27,48,52,117).
I don’t often sit in silence and ponder God. There’s too much noise, so many “demands.” Jesus gently admonished another busy person who mistakenly assumed her busyness was the moral choice. “There is only one thing worth being concerned about,” He told Martha. “Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:42).
There is no magical stick that guides us to perfection. The one perfect Person has taken care of that for us, and He welcomes our time.
How have you been susceptible to Mary’s erroneous assumption in Luke 10:38?
What compels you today? What urgent demands might be damaging your spiritual life?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more