Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Magical Green Stick
There is only one thing worth being concerned about (Luke 10:42).
When the Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy was a child, he believed in a magical green stick that could destroy all evil. His lifelong yearning for moral perfection in himself may have grown out of that childish belief. He never found it, yet his writings reveal his acute understanding of human depravity and God’s holiness.
I too am keenly aware of my own failings, so I cringe when people attribute spiritual qualities to me that I know are sadly lacking. When a friend asked me, “Are you a prayer warrior?” I quickly told him, “No, that’s one of the things I struggle with.” He seemed taken aback. I was surprised that he was surprised.
If you’re like me—spiritually lazy, easily distracted, susceptible to the lie that doing is being—welcome to the company of those in need of grace. We know we should pray. But we don’t do it well.
It appears that all the writers of the book of Psalms possessed introspective natures that passionately craved God. Psalm 119 expresses one author’s deep desire for God’s ways and attributes. “I have tried hard to find You,” he sang. “Don’t let me wander from Your commands” (v.10). “I lie in the dust; revive me by Your Word” (v.25). Five times he tells how he “meditates” on God’s instruction (vv.23,27,48,52,117).
I don’t often sit in silence and ponder God. There’s too much noise, so many “demands.” Jesus gently admonished another busy person who mistakenly assumed her busyness was the moral choice. “There is only one thing worth being concerned about,” He told Martha. “Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:42).
There is no magical stick that guides us to perfection. The one perfect Person has taken care of that for us, and He welcomes our time.
How have you been susceptible to Mary’s erroneous assumption in Luke 10:38?
What compels you today? What urgent demands might be damaging your spiritual life?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more