Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
Lazarus is dead. And for your sakes, I’m glad I wasn’t there, for now
you will really believe (vv.14-15).
A cave-in left 33 men trapped deep underground
in a copper and gold mine in northern Chile.
The men battled despair during the initial hours,
when dust from the collapse choked their lungs and
cloaked the mine in darkness. They barely hung on over
the next 17 days as they prayed for someone to find
them. And when they finally were pulled through a new
shaft to daylight—69 days after their ordeal began—
their triumph was all the sweeter for the depth of the
challenge they had overcome.
No one goes looking for trouble. No one wants to
be addicted to alcohol or drugs. No one enjoys being
unemployed, with too little money to both pay the rent
and feed the kids. No one asks God for over-bearing
in-laws, back-stabbing friends, or disease.
But some of these will happen to most of us. When
they do, we can choose to complain like Martha, “Lord,
if only you had been here, my brother would not have
died” (v.21). Or we can see that our obstacle is a thinly
veiled opportunity. As Jesus told her, “Your brother will
rise again” (vv.21-23).
Problems are necessary to display God’s power. If
we never get sick, we won’t know that our God heals.
If we’re never broke, we won’t know that our God
provides. And if we never die, we won’t know that our
God raises the dead.
What’s your problem? Have you been unfairly maligned or abused? You
have the privilege of discovering the freedom of forgiveness. Are you battling
addiction? You have the opportunity to experience the power of Christ. Out of
money? You get to see just how much your heavenly Father loves you.
Your problem isn’t the end. If you’re with Jesus, it’s the beginning of a lifechanging
Read 2 Corinthians 12:1 to see how Paul experienced God’s
provision as he faced a problem.
How can your present challenge be an opportunity? Keep a
journal of the trial you’re enduring. Take careful notes so you have a
record of how God sustained you through this dark period.
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more