God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wobbly, woozy, unsteady. These words all describe the appearance of the Crooked House—the most photographed house in all of Poland. One observer commented that the structure looks as if it is “melting or sagging from exhaustion.” Designer Szotynscy Zaleski purposely created the exterior to feature few straight lines, and the result is an architectural ode to a funhouse mirror.
Jesus spoke about a house that was destined to fall down. He said rain, flooding, and winds would cause this building to “collapse with a mighty crash” (Matthew 7:27). He pointed out that the structure would fail because it was built on sand. Sand is unstable—water easily washes it away, and wind quickly scatters it into the air.
Like sand, the world around us is constantly changing. Technology soon becomes outdated. Friendships spark and then cool. Fashion and music groups glimmer with fickle fame. Allowing these things to shape our lives leads to instability. If we’re not careful, we can let them replace Jesus as the foundation of our lives.
When we consistently take in Jesus’ teachings, but don’t live them out (v.26), we begin walking on unstable foundations, leaving behind the bedrock of living by His truth. We’re “only fooling [ourselves]” if we only listen to God’s Word, but don’t obey it (James 1:22-23).
Fortunately, Jesus said, “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock” (Matthew 7:24). If you long for a life that’s able to withstand torrents of trouble and the winds of change, remember that you can have stability through Jesus. With His help, you can shrug off the world’s influence and build your life on His rock-solid truths. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it . . . builds a house on solid rock (v.24).
Does God’s nature ever change? How does this truth create stability in your heart? How might having your life rooted in Jesus inspire your friends to follow God?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more