Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Wobbly, woozy, unsteady. These words all describe the appearance of the Crooked House—the most photographed house in all of Poland. One observer commented that the structure looks as if it is “melting or sagging from exhaustion.” Designer Szotynscy Zaleski purposely created the exterior to feature few straight lines, and the result is an architectural ode to a funhouse mirror.
Jesus spoke about a house that was destined to fall down. He said rain, flooding, and winds would cause this building to “collapse with a mighty crash” (Matthew 7:27). He pointed out that the structure would fail because it was built on sand. Sand is unstable—water easily washes it away, and wind quickly scatters it into the air.
Like sand, the world around us is constantly changing. Technology soon becomes outdated. Friendships spark and then cool. Fashion and music groups glimmer with fickle fame. Allowing these things to shape our lives leads to instability. If we’re not careful, we can let them replace Jesus as the foundation of our lives.
When we consistently take in Jesus’ teachings, but don’t live them out (v.26), we begin walking on unstable foundations, leaving behind the bedrock of living by His truth. We’re “only fooling [ourselves]” if we only listen to God’s Word, but don’t obey it (James 1:22-23).
Fortunately, Jesus said, “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock” (Matthew 7:24). If you long for a life that’s able to withstand torrents of trouble and the winds of change, remember that you can have stability through Jesus. With His help, you can shrug off the world’s influence and build your life on His rock-solid truths. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it . . . builds a house on solid rock (v.24).
Does God’s nature ever change? How does this truth create stability in your heart? How might having your life rooted in Jesus inspire your friends to follow God?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more