In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wobbly, woozy, unsteady. These words all describe the appearance of the Crooked House—the most photographed house in all of Poland. One observer commented that the structure looks as if it is “melting or sagging from exhaustion.” Designer Szotynscy Zaleski purposely created the exterior to feature few straight lines, and the result is an architectural ode to a funhouse mirror.
Jesus spoke about a house that was destined to fall down. He said rain, flooding, and winds would cause this building to “collapse with a mighty crash” (Matthew 7:27). He pointed out that the structure would fail because it was built on sand. Sand is unstable—water easily washes it away, and wind quickly scatters it into the air.
Like sand, the world around us is constantly changing. Technology soon becomes outdated. Friendships spark and then cool. Fashion and music groups glimmer with fickle fame. Allowing these things to shape our lives leads to instability. If we’re not careful, we can let them replace Jesus as the foundation of our lives.
When we consistently take in Jesus’ teachings, but don’t live them out (v.26), we begin walking on unstable foundations, leaving behind the bedrock of living by His truth. We’re “only fooling [ourselves]” if we only listen to God’s Word, but don’t obey it (James 1:22-23).
Fortunately, Jesus said, “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock” (Matthew 7:24). If you long for a life that’s able to withstand torrents of trouble and the winds of change, remember that you can have stability through Jesus. With His help, you can shrug off the world’s influence and build your life on His rock-solid truths. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it . . . builds a house on solid rock (v.24).
Does God’s nature ever change? How does this truth create stability in your heart? How might having your life rooted in Jesus inspire your friends to follow God?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more