Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Monday April 7
break camp and move on
In his book Seize the Day, Danny Cox, a former jet pilot turned business leader, explained why pilots needed a new ejection system. In the former system, when pilots initiated ejection, all they needed to do was clear the plane and roll forward out of the seat. During testing, however, the pilots wouldn’t let go of the seat during the process. The engineers came up with a solution. Two seconds after ejection commenced, an electronic take-up reel would immediately take up the slack and force the pilot forward out of his seat—freeing the parachute.
Just as pilots need to be forced out of their seats, God had to move Moses and the people of Israel from Mt. Sinai. After almost a year at the mountain (Exodus 19:1; Numbers 10:11-12), it’s likely they had become a bit comfortable there. God commanded Moses to break camp and move on (Deuteronomy 1:7). They would take the shortest and straightest route, and the path wasn’t going to be easy.
It was time to enter the land of those who were considered skilled and feared warriors—risking the lives of all as they followed God’s will. Though this would be dangerous, it was all part of God’s perfect plan. It was time For Moses to break camp and move on and lead His people into “the land the LORD swore to give to [his] ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and to all their descendants” (v.8).
It’s so easy to hold on to our seats and become comfortable where we are. That’s when God has to force us out of them, cause us to break camp, and move us to the future He has for us. He calls us to leave the comfortable, be open to change, take faith steps, and trust Him in the face of the unknown. —Marvin Williams
When we were at Mount Sinai, the LORD our God said to us, “You have stayed at this mountain long enough. It is time to break camp and move on” (vv.6-7).
Read Acts 8:1-3, and see how God allowed His people to be moved.
Besides His Word, what else does God use to get us to move from where we are to where He wants us to go? From what comfortable place is God calling you right now?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more