Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8
Big and Small
So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today (v.34).
Some big interviews lay ahead as I continued my quest to join the UK’s Royal Navy as a chaplain. That included psychometric tests, practical leadership tasks, planning exercises, and the writing of essays. I needed to take several trains down to the interview location, plan my interview techniques, and practice answers.
I prepared all that I could, and yet I still worried. I hardly noticed the beautiful blue sky outside because my thoughts consumed me. The gorgeous day slipped by into a sunset— wasted as I worried.
In Matthew 6, we find a well-known portion of Scripture dealing with worry. I’ve often read it as a rebuke for having weak faith. As Jesus said, “Why do you have so little faith?” (v.30). There’s certainly that element to it, but it’s much more about revealing our God who’s sovereign, knows everything, and yet is concerned with the smallest details.
“Look at the birds. . . . Your heavenly Father feeds them” (v.26). God cares for even the smallest of winged creatures. “Look at the lilies” (v.28). God has seen every flower that has ever sprouted. “Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs” (v.32). That means every need—physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. And every need in our past, present, and future. Jesus reveals to us one thing that should separate us from those who don’t believe in Him—peace that He alone brings.
God is so vast and unfathomable that sometimes we think He’s distant. But even in His bigness, He’s uniquely qualified to handle all of our cares—no matter how big or small they are. Jesus says, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else . . . and he will give you everything you need” (v.33). Let’s leave our worries with Him! —Russell Fralick
Read Isaiah 55:8 and consider how God is uniquely qualified to meet our needs.
What do you do with your worries? How can you learn to rest in the peace and joy that God provides?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more