Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8
Big and Small
So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today (v.34).
Some big interviews lay ahead as I continued my quest to join the UK’s Royal Navy as a chaplain. That included psychometric tests, practical leadership tasks, planning exercises, and the writing of essays. I needed to take several trains down to the interview location, plan my interview techniques, and practice answers.
I prepared all that I could, and yet I still worried. I hardly noticed the beautiful blue sky outside because my thoughts consumed me. The gorgeous day slipped by into a sunset— wasted as I worried.
In Matthew 6, we find a well-known portion of Scripture dealing with worry. I’ve often read it as a rebuke for having weak faith. As Jesus said, “Why do you have so little faith?” (v.30). There’s certainly that element to it, but it’s much more about revealing our God who’s sovereign, knows everything, and yet is concerned with the smallest details.
“Look at the birds. . . . Your heavenly Father feeds them” (v.26). God cares for even the smallest of winged creatures. “Look at the lilies” (v.28). God has seen every flower that has ever sprouted. “Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs” (v.32). That means every need—physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. And every need in our past, present, and future. Jesus reveals to us one thing that should separate us from those who don’t believe in Him—peace that He alone brings.
God is so vast and unfathomable that sometimes we think He’s distant. But even in His bigness, He’s uniquely qualified to handle all of our cares—no matter how big or small they are. Jesus says, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else . . . and he will give you everything you need” (v.33). Let’s leave our worries with Him! —Russell Fralick
Read Isaiah 55:8 and consider how God is uniquely qualified to meet our needs.
What do you do with your worries? How can you learn to rest in the peace and joy that God provides?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more