Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8
Big and Small
So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today (v.34).
Some big interviews lay ahead as I continued my quest to join the UK’s Royal Navy as a chaplain. That included psychometric tests, practical leadership tasks, planning exercises, and the writing of essays. I needed to take several trains down to the interview location, plan my interview techniques, and practice answers.
I prepared all that I could, and yet I still worried. I hardly noticed the beautiful blue sky outside because my thoughts consumed me. The gorgeous day slipped by into a sunset— wasted as I worried.
In Matthew 6, we find a well-known portion of Scripture dealing with worry. I’ve often read it as a rebuke for having weak faith. As Jesus said, “Why do you have so little faith?” (v.30). There’s certainly that element to it, but it’s much more about revealing our God who’s sovereign, knows everything, and yet is concerned with the smallest details.
“Look at the birds. . . . Your heavenly Father feeds them” (v.26). God cares for even the smallest of winged creatures. “Look at the lilies” (v.28). God has seen every flower that has ever sprouted. “Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs” (v.32). That means every need—physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. And every need in our past, present, and future. Jesus reveals to us one thing that should separate us from those who don’t believe in Him—peace that He alone brings.
God is so vast and unfathomable that sometimes we think He’s distant. But even in His bigness, He’s uniquely qualified to handle all of our cares—no matter how big or small they are. Jesus says, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else . . . and he will give you everything you need” (v.33). Let’s leave our worries with Him! —Russell Fralick
Read Isaiah 55:8 and consider how God is uniquely qualified to meet our needs.
What do you do with your worries? How can you learn to rest in the peace and joy that God provides?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more