Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
asking for wisdom
The value of gold and silver has soared over the past few years. These precious metals have historically been celebrated as extremely valuable. But long ago, young King Solomon wrote, “Joyful is the person who finds wisdom...For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14).
In the early days of his reign, Solomon was wise enough to ask God for wisdom (instead of silver or gold). Realizing he was in over his head, he asked God for an “understanding heart” to govern and judge his people (1 Kings 3:7-9). And God granted the king his request (vv.10-12).
It wasn’t long before his wisdom was put to the test. Two women asked Solomon to settle a maternity dispute. Both of the women had recently given birth, but one of the babies died. Now both were claiming to be the mother of the living baby (vv.16-22).
After listening to the women, Solomon called for a sword and ordered the baby to be cut in two—giving half to one woman and half to the other (v.25).
How outrageous, yet brilliant! For it revealed the true mother. She cried out and pleaded for the king to give the baby to the other woman (v.26). Solomon immediately knew to whom he should give the child (v.27).
Today, we too can be faced with tough decisions. The apostle James wrote that if we need to know what to do, we should ask God for “wisdom.” The apostle knew that if we find ourselves in a tight spot, God will guide us. And He will “not rebuke” us “for asking” for insight (James 1:5).
God doesn’t scold us for seeking His wisdom in handling a challenging situation; He welcomes it. Do the wise thing today! —Jeff Olson
1 Kings 3:7-28 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking (James 1:5).
Read 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 and see the contrast between God’s wisdom and the wisdom of man.
In what situation(s) do you need God’s wisdom today? What makes a decision a wise one?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more