Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
asking for wisdom
The value of gold and silver has soared over the past few years. These precious metals have historically been celebrated as extremely valuable. But long ago, young King Solomon wrote, “Joyful is the person who finds wisdom...For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14).
In the early days of his reign, Solomon was wise enough to ask God for wisdom (instead of silver or gold). Realizing he was in over his head, he asked God for an “understanding heart” to govern and judge his people (1 Kings 3:7-9). And God granted the king his request (vv.10-12).
It wasn’t long before his wisdom was put to the test. Two women asked Solomon to settle a maternity dispute. Both of the women had recently given birth, but one of the babies died. Now both were claiming to be the mother of the living baby (vv.16-22).
After listening to the women, Solomon called for a sword and ordered the baby to be cut in two—giving half to one woman and half to the other (v.25).
How outrageous, yet brilliant! For it revealed the true mother. She cried out and pleaded for the king to give the baby to the other woman (v.26). Solomon immediately knew to whom he should give the child (v.27).
Today, we too can be faced with tough decisions. The apostle James wrote that if we need to know what to do, we should ask God for “wisdom.” The apostle knew that if we find ourselves in a tight spot, God will guide us. And He will “not rebuke” us “for asking” for insight (James 1:5).
God doesn’t scold us for seeking His wisdom in handling a challenging situation; He welcomes it. Do the wise thing today! —Jeff Olson
1 Kings 3:7-28 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking (James 1:5).
Read 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 and see the contrast between God’s wisdom and the wisdom of man.
In what situation(s) do you need God’s wisdom today? What makes a decision a wise one?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more