Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
asking for wisdom
The value of gold and silver has soared over the past few years. These precious metals have historically been celebrated as extremely valuable. But long ago, young King Solomon wrote, “Joyful is the person who finds wisdom...For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14).
In the early days of his reign, Solomon was wise enough to ask God for wisdom (instead of silver or gold). Realizing he was in over his head, he asked God for an “understanding heart” to govern and judge his people (1 Kings 3:7-9). And God granted the king his request (vv.10-12).
It wasn’t long before his wisdom was put to the test. Two women asked Solomon to settle a maternity dispute. Both of the women had recently given birth, but one of the babies died. Now both were claiming to be the mother of the living baby (vv.16-22).
After listening to the women, Solomon called for a sword and ordered the baby to be cut in two—giving half to one woman and half to the other (v.25).
How outrageous, yet brilliant! For it revealed the true mother. She cried out and pleaded for the king to give the baby to the other woman (v.26). Solomon immediately knew to whom he should give the child (v.27).
Today, we too can be faced with tough decisions. The apostle James wrote that if we need to know what to do, we should ask God for “wisdom.” The apostle knew that if we find ourselves in a tight spot, God will guide us. And He will “not rebuke” us “for asking” for insight (James 1:5).
God doesn’t scold us for seeking His wisdom in handling a challenging situation; He welcomes it. Do the wise thing today! —Jeff Olson
1 Kings 3:7-28 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking (James 1:5).
Read 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 and see the contrast between God’s wisdom and the wisdom of man.
In what situation(s) do you need God’s wisdom today? What makes a decision a wise one?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more