In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
asking for wisdom
The value of gold and silver has soared over the past few years. These precious metals have historically been celebrated as extremely valuable. But long ago, young King Solomon wrote, “Joyful is the person who finds wisdom...For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14).
In the early days of his reign, Solomon was wise enough to ask God for wisdom (instead of silver or gold). Realizing he was in over his head, he asked God for an “understanding heart” to govern and judge his people (1 Kings 3:7-9). And God granted the king his request (vv.10-12).
It wasn’t long before his wisdom was put to the test. Two women asked Solomon to settle a maternity dispute. Both of the women had recently given birth, but one of the babies died. Now both were claiming to be the mother of the living baby (vv.16-22).
After listening to the women, Solomon called for a sword and ordered the baby to be cut in two—giving half to one woman and half to the other (v.25).
How outrageous, yet brilliant! For it revealed the true mother. She cried out and pleaded for the king to give the baby to the other woman (v.26). Solomon immediately knew to whom he should give the child (v.27).
Today, we too can be faced with tough decisions. The apostle James wrote that if we need to know what to do, we should ask God for “wisdom.” The apostle knew that if we find ourselves in a tight spot, God will guide us. And He will “not rebuke” us “for asking” for insight (James 1:5).
God doesn’t scold us for seeking His wisdom in handling a challenging situation; He welcomes it. Do the wise thing today! —Jeff Olson
1 Kings 3:7-28 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking (James 1:5).
Read 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 and see the contrast between God’s wisdom and the wisdom of man.
In what situation(s) do you need God’s wisdom today? What makes a decision a wise one?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more