Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
asking for wisdom
The value of gold and silver has soared over the past few years. These precious metals have historically been celebrated as extremely valuable. But long ago, young King Solomon wrote, “Joyful is the person who finds wisdom...For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold” (Proverbs 3:13-14).
In the early days of his reign, Solomon was wise enough to ask God for wisdom (instead of silver or gold). Realizing he was in over his head, he asked God for an “understanding heart” to govern and judge his people (1 Kings 3:7-9). And God granted the king his request (vv.10-12).
It wasn’t long before his wisdom was put to the test. Two women asked Solomon to settle a maternity dispute. Both of the women had recently given birth, but one of the babies died. Now both were claiming to be the mother of the living baby (vv.16-22).
After listening to the women, Solomon called for a sword and ordered the baby to be cut in two—giving half to one woman and half to the other (v.25).
How outrageous, yet brilliant! For it revealed the true mother. She cried out and pleaded for the king to give the baby to the other woman (v.26). Solomon immediately knew to whom he should give the child (v.27).
Today, we too can be faced with tough decisions. The apostle James wrote that if we need to know what to do, we should ask God for “wisdom.” The apostle knew that if we find ourselves in a tight spot, God will guide us. And He will “not rebuke” us “for asking” for insight (James 1:5).
God doesn’t scold us for seeking His wisdom in handling a challenging situation; He welcomes it. Do the wise thing today! —Jeff Olson
1 Kings 3:7-28 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking (James 1:5).
Read 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 and see the contrast between God’s wisdom and the wisdom of man.
In what situation(s) do you need God’s wisdom today? What makes a decision a wise one?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more