After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday August 5
At the beginning of the classic book The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was enjoying a comfortable and predictable life in his home in the Shire—until the mysterious Gandalf dropped in for a surprise visit. Gandalf turned to Bilbo and said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” Bilbo replied, “I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! We don’t want any adventures here, thank you.”
Moses, in essence, said, “I don’t want any adventure. Not today, Lord.” God had heard the cries of distress of His people and He prepared to deliver them (Exodus 3:7-9). He commissioned Moses to lead the adventure of delivering the people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan (v.10). Like Bilbo Baggins, however, Moses objected to this adventure. He said, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” (v.11). The second objection of Moses was that it might be difficult to convince the Israelites that the Lord had sent him (v.13). His third objection was, “What if [the people] won’t believe me” (4:1). And his final objection? “I’m not very good with words” (v.10). Yet God answered every objection with the assurance of His divine name, presence, and power.
God is still calling us to adventures! He wants to use us to bring freedom to people trapped under the weight of sin. At times we might be stifled by the fear of rejection or paralyzed by feelings of inadequacy. But we can grow in confidence because God has promised us His divine presence and power. —Marvin Williams
“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God (vv.10-11).
In Jonah 1, the Lord called Jonah to an adventure. What was it and how did he respond?
To what spiritual adventure do you sense that God is calling you? What has been your response? If you are currently on a God-adventure, how have you experienced His divine presence and power?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more