Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday August 5
At the beginning of the classic book The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was enjoying a comfortable and predictable life in his home in the Shire—until the mysterious Gandalf dropped in for a surprise visit. Gandalf turned to Bilbo and said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” Bilbo replied, “I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! We don’t want any adventures here, thank you.”
Moses, in essence, said, “I don’t want any adventure. Not today, Lord.” God had heard the cries of distress of His people and He prepared to deliver them (Exodus 3:7-9). He commissioned Moses to lead the adventure of delivering the people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan (v.10). Like Bilbo Baggins, however, Moses objected to this adventure. He said, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” (v.11). The second objection of Moses was that it might be difficult to convince the Israelites that the Lord had sent him (v.13). His third objection was, “What if [the people] won’t believe me” (4:1). And his final objection? “I’m not very good with words” (v.10). Yet God answered every objection with the assurance of His divine name, presence, and power.
God is still calling us to adventures! He wants to use us to bring freedom to people trapped under the weight of sin. At times we might be stifled by the fear of rejection or paralyzed by feelings of inadequacy. But we can grow in confidence because God has promised us His divine presence and power. —Marvin Williams
“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God (vv.10-11).
In Jonah 1, the Lord called Jonah to an adventure. What was it and how did he respond?
To what spiritual adventure do you sense that God is calling you? What has been your response? If you are currently on a God-adventure, how have you experienced His divine presence and power?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more