Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday August 5
At the beginning of the classic book The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was enjoying a comfortable and predictable life in his home in the Shire—until the mysterious Gandalf dropped in for a surprise visit. Gandalf turned to Bilbo and said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” Bilbo replied, “I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! We don’t want any adventures here, thank you.”
Moses, in essence, said, “I don’t want any adventure. Not today, Lord.” God had heard the cries of distress of His people and He prepared to deliver them (Exodus 3:7-9). He commissioned Moses to lead the adventure of delivering the people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan (v.10). Like Bilbo Baggins, however, Moses objected to this adventure. He said, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” (v.11). The second objection of Moses was that it might be difficult to convince the Israelites that the Lord had sent him (v.13). His third objection was, “What if [the people] won’t believe me” (4:1). And his final objection? “I’m not very good with words” (v.10). Yet God answered every objection with the assurance of His divine name, presence, and power.
God is still calling us to adventures! He wants to use us to bring freedom to people trapped under the weight of sin. At times we might be stifled by the fear of rejection or paralyzed by feelings of inadequacy. But we can grow in confidence because God has promised us His divine presence and power. —Marvin Williams
“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God (vv.10-11).
In Jonah 1, the Lord called Jonah to an adventure. What was it and how did he respond?
To what spiritual adventure do you sense that God is calling you? What has been your response? If you are currently on a God-adventure, how have you experienced His divine presence and power?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more