New BeginningsHow has God equipped you to follow Him?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday August 5
At the beginning of the classic book The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was enjoying a comfortable and predictable life in his home in the Shire—until the mysterious Gandalf dropped in for a surprise visit. Gandalf turned to Bilbo and said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” Bilbo replied, “I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! We don’t want any adventures here, thank you.”
Moses, in essence, said, “I don’t want any adventure. Not today, Lord.” God had heard the cries of distress of His people and He prepared to deliver them (Exodus 3:7-9). He commissioned Moses to lead the adventure of delivering the people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan (v.10). Like Bilbo Baggins, however, Moses objected to this adventure. He said, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” (v.11). The second objection of Moses was that it might be difficult to convince the Israelites that the Lord had sent him (v.13). His third objection was, “What if [the people] won’t believe me” (4:1). And his final objection? “I’m not very good with words” (v.10). Yet God answered every objection with the assurance of His divine name, presence, and power.
God is still calling us to adventures! He wants to use us to bring freedom to people trapped under the weight of sin. At times we might be stifled by the fear of rejection or paralyzed by feelings of inadequacy. But we can grow in confidence because God has promised us His divine presence and power. —Marvin Williams
“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God (vv.10-11).
In Jonah 1, the Lord called Jonah to an adventure. What was it and how did he respond?
To what spiritual adventure do you sense that God is calling you? What has been your response? If you are currently on a God-adventure, how have you experienced His divine presence and power?
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more