Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Tuesday August 5
At the beginning of the classic book The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins was enjoying a comfortable and predictable life in his home in the Shire—until the mysterious Gandalf dropped in for a surprise visit. Gandalf turned to Bilbo and said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” Bilbo replied, “I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! We don’t want any adventures here, thank you.”
Moses, in essence, said, “I don’t want any adventure. Not today, Lord.” God had heard the cries of distress of His people and He prepared to deliver them (Exodus 3:7-9). He commissioned Moses to lead the adventure of delivering the people out of Egypt and into the land of Canaan (v.10). Like Bilbo Baggins, however, Moses objected to this adventure. He said, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” (v.11). The second objection of Moses was that it might be difficult to convince the Israelites that the Lord had sent him (v.13). His third objection was, “What if [the people] won’t believe me” (4:1). And his final objection? “I’m not very good with words” (v.10). Yet God answered every objection with the assurance of His divine name, presence, and power.
God is still calling us to adventures! He wants to use us to bring freedom to people trapped under the weight of sin. At times we might be stifled by the fear of rejection or paralyzed by feelings of inadequacy. But we can grow in confidence because God has promised us His divine presence and power. —Marvin Williams
“Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt.” But Moses protested to God (vv.10-11).
In Jonah 1, the Lord called Jonah to an adventure. What was it and how did he respond?
To what spiritual adventure do you sense that God is calling you? What has been your response? If you are currently on a God-adventure, how have you experienced His divine presence and power?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more