Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19
If you lend money to any of my people who are in need, do not charge interest as a money lender would (v.25).
We can take for granted the idea that any money loaned to someone should be paid back with interest; this is seen as normal. Secular culture often judges things on a purely functional basis, whereby acquiring wealth and even gaining at the expense of another is simply the way things are. In contrast, God has always judged things from a “heart perspective.” What’s the motivation behind our actions? Are we fueled by desire for our own gain, or by compassion, love, and a desire to glorify God?
God’s laws in Exodus 22 were designed to ensure that His people always acted fairly, possessing a heart attitude of compassion and justice that reflected His own. The Israelites were to display integrity, honesty, kindness, and love to one another. In charging interest to one of your own people, it was possible that you were taking advantage of someone’s financial hardship. This showed a lack of love and misrepresented the character of God.
In verse 26, note how God told His people to return a person’s cloak, even if it was taken as a pledge. It didn’t matter to Him what the business transaction was—He required His people to care about a person’s well-being at all times, including those who couldn’t defend themselves (vv.16, 22).
God has put His laws in the hearts of believers in Jesus. The Holy Spirit guides us from within—helping us to understand and live out the wisdom of Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16-17). How can we be more generous today, not only with our money, but—even more—with our time, our kindness, and our love for all people? When we give, let’s not always expect a return, but simply rejoice in God using us to build His kingdom. —Russell Fralick
Read Luke 6:27-31 and consider what it means to live out this challenging Scripture.
Is there something you’re holding back from God? Family, career, ministry? Is it time to set your heart free by handing over control to Him?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more