Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
a pet’s death
A friend of mine who runs his own company says he has two rules for his employees: “Rule 1: The boss is always right. Rule 2: If the boss is wrong, refer to Rule 1.” He’s obviously joking, but these words do reflect the way many of us would like to live.
An “I can do no wrong” mentality would have resonated with King David at a certain time in his life. For he lied, stole, committed adultery, betrayed and murdered a friend, and yet lived as if he had done nothing wrong. So the prophet Nathan had a difficult task to complete (2 Samuel 12:1): How do you confront the most powerful man in the kingdom and get him to confess crimes he had willfully concealed? Such a confrontation could have been considered a capital offense against the king.
So Nathan came to David with a story about a poor shepherd and his beloved pet lamb (v.3). It was common for shepherds to have a special lamb as a pet. Having been a shepherd (1 Samuel 17:15), David would have felt the strong emotional bond between the man and his lamb (2 Samuel 12:5-6).
Nathan forced David and all of us to consider the horrors of killing a pet. The gratuitous slaying of the innocent lamb exposed the repulsiveness of David’s sin, and it also pointed to the murder of another innocent beloved Lamb 1,000 years later. This death exposes the ugliness of our own sins (1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 2:2).
David concealed his sins (Psalm 32:3). But they still were “piled up before God” (Isaiah 59:12). God sees our secret sins (Psalm 90:8). We can’t simply live as if we’ve done nothing wrong (Jeremiah 2:35, 17:9-10 . Let’s confess our sins today and receive God’s mercy and forgiveness (Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:8-10). —K.T. Sim
People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy (Proverbs 28:13).
What sin have you tried to hide? Confess it now and claim the promises of 1 John 1:9.
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more