Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
a pet’s death
A friend of mine who runs his own company says he has two rules for his employees: “Rule 1: The boss is always right. Rule 2: If the boss is wrong, refer to Rule 1.” He’s obviously joking, but these words do reflect the way many of us would like to live.
An “I can do no wrong” mentality would have resonated with King David at a certain time in his life. For he lied, stole, committed adultery, betrayed and murdered a friend, and yet lived as if he had done nothing wrong. So the prophet Nathan had a difficult task to complete (2 Samuel 12:1): How do you confront the most powerful man in the kingdom and get him to confess crimes he had willfully concealed? Such a confrontation could have been considered a capital offense against the king.
So Nathan came to David with a story about a poor shepherd and his beloved pet lamb (v.3). It was common for shepherds to have a special lamb as a pet. Having been a shepherd (1 Samuel 17:15), David would have felt the strong emotional bond between the man and his lamb (2 Samuel 12:5-6).
Nathan forced David and all of us to consider the horrors of killing a pet. The gratuitous slaying of the innocent lamb exposed the repulsiveness of David’s sin, and it also pointed to the murder of another innocent beloved Lamb 1,000 years later. This death exposes the ugliness of our own sins (1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 2:2).
David concealed his sins (Psalm 32:3). But they still were “piled up before God” (Isaiah 59:12). God sees our secret sins (Psalm 90:8). We can’t simply live as if we’ve done nothing wrong (Jeremiah 2:35, 17:9-10 . Let’s confess our sins today and receive God’s mercy and forgiveness (Proverbs 28:13; 1 John 1:8-10). —K.T. Sim
People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy (Proverbs 28:13).
What sin have you tried to hide? Confess it now and claim the promises of 1 John 1:9.
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more