Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
THURSDAY, JANUARY 12
A Good Name
Ruth 3:1-18 Being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold (Proverbs 22:1). When we considered remodeling our basement, our neighbors all recommended the same person for the job—Tony. He’s an experienced carpenter who shows up every day, delivers more than he promises, and finishes what he starts. People trust this handyman enough to give him their house keys and many let him keep the keys after he finishes the job. When they have a home repair project, they simply contact Tony and he comes over, lets himself in, and goes to work.
Ruth also enjoyed an excellent reputation in Bethlehem. Born in Moab, she followed her mother-in-law, Naomi, to Israel after both of their husbands died. There she met Boaz, a well-connected landowner who valued her character. When he proposed marriage, he said, “Everyone in town knows you are a virtuous woman” (Ruth 3:11).
Ruth’s virtue was due partly to her work ethic. She diligently foraged local fields for leftover grain to provide for herself and Naomi. A foreman noticed that Ruth remained “hard at work . . . except for a few minutes’ rest in the shelter” (2:7). When the barley harvest ended, Ruth continued to work by gleaning wheat in early summer (v.23).
Ruth’s character was revealed in her humility, obedience, and respect for her mother-in-law. Instead of looking for a husband her own age, she allowed Naomi to choose for her (3:3-5). She let Boaz know she was available for marriage, and Boaz carefully protected Ruth’s reputation in the way he responded (vv.9,14). Proverbs 22:1 says, “Being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold.” May God work in and through us to produce a character and reputation that honors Him and reflects this beautiful name: Jesus. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read 1 Peter 2:12 to see one possible outcome of having a good name on earth.
Look up Hebrews 11:39 to see what produces a good reputation in God’s eyes. Is it possible to have a good standing in the world while disappointing God? Why or why not? When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more