“Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?”
- Daily Devotional, September 15, 2011 "Oh Well"9/14/2011 - I would rather work with pagans than with other Christians!” My friend’s statement wouldn’t be particularly surprising for an agnostic or atheist to make. But he’s a minister. Why can believers in Jesus sometimes be so difficult and nasty?
- Daily Devotional, September 14, 2011 "Steven Curtis Chapman - Do Everything"9/13/2011 - Jesus had a habit of turning things upside down during his short three-year ministry. From the tables of the temple moneychangers, to the teachings of the religious leaders, to the dreams and expectations of his followers, to the entire world system of power and influence and authority, he challenged and uprooted all that was not aligned with the reality of the kingdom of God.
- Daily Devotional - September 13, 2011 "Sandwiched"9/12/2011 - If you feel as if you’re a walking ham and cheese on rye, there might be good reason. More and more people are becoming part of the “sandwich generation.” They’re feeling the squeeze of caring for children while also supporting parents or parents-in-law. A recent report reveals that one in five working-age people in Asia are now officially “sandwiched.”
- Daily Devotional - September 12, 2011 "Painful Truth"9/11/2011 - My 4-year-old son and I were watching television when we saw a commercial for skin cream. A woman’s face appeared and then the camera zoomed in, revealing a rather serious set of crow’s feet. But it didn’t stop there. Computer animation gave us a peek beneath the surface of her skin—into her very pores.
- Daily Devotional - September 09, 2011 "No Fear"9/9/2011 - The other day I stopped at a service station to fill up my car’s gas tank. When I went inside to pay, I noticed a little sparrow hopping around on the windowsill next to the cashier. She told me the sparrow had flown into the window a few days earlier and injured its wing. So she had brought it inside to give it a chance to mend.
- Daily Devotional - September 08, 2011 "Apart or a Part"9/7/2011 - In The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church, Reggie McNeal writes, “A growing number of people are leaving the institutional church for a new reason. They are not leaving because they have lost faith.
- Daily Devotional - September 07, 2011 "Sing"9/6/2011 - For 160 years, the Free Church of Scotland has not allowed hymns or any instrumental music to be played or sung in their public worship. In 1843, the Free Church split from the Presbyterian Church of Scotland; and ever since, the Free Church has allowed only psalms to be sung—and only to be sung a cappella.
- Daily Devotional - September 06, 2011 "True Contentment"9/5/2011 - Whenever a friend succeeds,” Gore Vidal once said, ”a little something in me dies.” The words are sad, because a life lived in envy leaves little room for joy. But don’t Vidal’s words reflect our own feelings at times?
- Daily Devotional - September 05, 2011 "Bitter Water"9/4/2011 - The first time I met her, something in our interaction truly bothered me. A day later, I was praying to God and searching my heart to see why I felt so unsettled around my new acquaintance. After all, it had been a pretty typical social gathering, and I usually enjoy getting to know people.
- Daily Devotional - September 02, 2011 "Fooling Ourselves"9/1/2011 - Last year, a bizarre TV game show began airing in France. Contestants were given questions and all went well if they answered correctly. But a wrong answer proved to be deadly. For the erring contestants were then commanded to throw a switch that appeared to force another contestant—strapped in the “hot seat”—to endure a lethal 420 volts of electricity.
- Daily Devotional - September 01, 2011 "Among Us"8/31/2011 - For 2 months in Uganda, I was without a car and had to travel by foot or by using public transportation. I squeezed into crowded matatus (minivan taxis) and weaved through traffic on the backs of boda bodas (motorcycle taxis).
- Daily Devotional - August 31, 2011 "Spotless"8/30/2011 - I accidentally dropped my cell phone into the garbage can. It slid straight to the bottom, and when I pulled it out, it was covered with some kind of disgusting mystery goo. Horrified, I set to work spraying, scrubbing, and disinfecting. I didn’t stop until the phone was spotless. God called the people of Israel to “sanitize” themselves.
- Daily Devotional - August 30, 2011 "Persevering"8/29/2011 - The film October Sky tells the remarkable story of a teenage boy’s dream to build rockets. After watching Sputnik, the first earth-orbiting artificial satellite, race across the night sky in 1957, a deep desire was ignited within Homer Hickam to make rockets and become a part of NASA’s space program.
- Daily Devotional - August 29, 2011 "Seeing Clearly"8/28/2011 - Mom, turn the mirror so I can see better.” Riding behind me in the car, my son asked me to set the rearview mirror so he could see himself in it. When my adjustments did not allow him a full view of himself, he asked me to try again.
- Daily Devotional - August 26, 2011 "Reconciliation"8/25/2011 - Jacob conned his older twin brother and got his birthright (Genesis 25:29-33). Then he cheated Esau a second time when he tricked their father into giving him the blessings that belonged to Esau—the firstborn (27:36). In anger, the older brother swore to kill Jacob (27:41). So their mother advised Jacob to hide out at his uncle’s place (vv.43-45) for a period of time that stretched to 20 long years.
- Daily Devotional - August 25, 2011 "Handling Disapointment"8/25/2011 - You’re having a Bible study with someone, and they say, “I simply don’t believe in Jesus.” Or perhaps you discover that a young person you’ve been discipling is having premarital sex. And you wonder: Have I done something wrong? Have I failed in my efforts to teach God’s Word?
No playlists found for this account.